Tuesday, June 2, 2015

What I Ate Last Wednesday

This week I am back to my usual What I Ate Wednesday posts. The last two weeks were specials from my trips to Berlin and London. 

I'm linking up with Jenn over at Peas and Crayons for the What I Ate Wednesday Party, come check it out!

This week, the photos I took were from my sight seeing day with my good friend, Jackie. She came over to my side of Amsterdam and we took a very long bike ride, which I will tell you more about tomorrow, but the food of course was delicious as always. See it now...


As always, starting off with my favorite bullet proof-esque coffee. 

Here is my favorite recipe:

1 lungo nespresso capsule
1 espresso nespresso capsule
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
1 tablespoon grass fed unsalted butter
1.5 tablespoons local honey
75 ml steamed milk (this recipe is now steamed, local raw milk)
Mix together with a spoon or an immersion blender if you are super picky...it usually blends really well for me, so I don't typically have to use the immersion.

This is so high in calories and good fat from the oil, butter, and milk that it serves as my breakfast along side a banana with peanut butter, which will not be having it's modeling debut today ;) But, it is good and gives me the energy I need to get a workout completed most mornings!

But, this particular morning I did not workout as my friend met me at my house at 10, we had some lavender mint water I'd made. Super simple and delicious:

1-2 sprigs of dried lavender, with the buds, a sprig of mint, let sit in 1 liter of water over night and then drink up!

Now, when we left for our bike ride, we were out for a basic stroll, but I knew we were going to wind up at the local Melktap as she grew up on a dairy farm that her family still owns, so I wanted her to see this. There are several around the Netherlands, this one is just 3 quick miles from my house. It is raw milk that you vend yourself...come back tomorrow for more info on it. The milk is amazing and we each had a cup before we left!

Yum, yum...fresh from the cow milk!
After this we made our way back over in to the city, but we weren't done with nature yet so decided on lunch in Amstel Park. This park is wonderful because you are completely surrounded by nature, but can be back in the city within a 10 minute bike ride. There are two full service restaurants in the park. The one we went to, De Hop 2.0, is the more laid back of the two and has much better food.
Exhibit 1: Pancake. It is filled with cheese and ham and is as big as that plate. It was amazing. I could only eat about a quarter of it though....and they were worried I really didn't like it...I'm all over here do you people see how big this thing is?! 

Exhibit 2: Wine, pretty large pour as well, gotta love Europe!
After eating I headed home to meet my teenager. We weren't very hungry so we went for a walk and stopped by the grocery store, by the time we got home we were starving! She wanted to cook so I threw the menu out the window and let her have at it..how cute is she?!
Cooking up a storm in the  kitchen!
She wound up making a delicious, healthy, protein packed dinner of red lentils, she topped it with chicken, scrambled egg, tomatoes, and sweet chili sauce.


This week wasn't filled with tons of food, but what I did eat was extremely filling. Tune in tomorrow for more on the bike ride we did!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of all the European eats! I love raw milk, but it's illegal for human consumption here. Boo! And those pancakes... the first time I ordered on while visiting Amsterdam I was so surprised at what it was (totally different than American pancakes). I became totally addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your coffee mug! I collect mugs, and this one immediately caught my eye. If I am ever in Berlin, I will be on the lookout for something similar.

    ReplyDelete