Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sunday Social: Food Talk!


Sunday Social

1. If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Macaroni  and cheese for sure!

2. What's your guilty pleasure/comfort food?
Same as above, Macaroni and Cheese.

3. What's the weirdest/craziest thing you've ever eaten?
Rocky Mountain Oysters! My uncle came to visit us in Denver & he said he'd treat us to them...you'd think after the incident with gator when I was about 10 I'd have learned to be a little more weary about what I eat around him..... haha

4. What foods do you avoid at all costs?
White bread and refined sugar. The things it does to my body I just can't cope with.

5. What meal reminds you of your childhood?
Saucey pork twist. It was a favourite meal of mine that my Mom made.

6. Share one of your favorite recipes and the story behind it.
Hmmmmmmm one of my favourite recipes...I don't have many that I have invented but my mother has one she always made when we were kids. Over the years thanks to technology I've come to find this is actually a fairly common recipe but it goes by many different names. We call the recipe "Magic Cookie Bars" but, I know they are also referred to as 7 Layer Bars (although there aren't 7 ingredients so this perplexes me)

Magic Cookie Bars (adapted over the years lol)

Make a basic graham cracker crust

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1.5 cups graham cracker crumbs
In a 9X13 pan put butter in the bottom and stick in 350 degree oven (176 Celsius) and let stick of butter melt. Carefully add graham cracker crumbs and combine with a fork, press into the bottom of the pan. Let back for 10-12 minutes to "set". When done let cool.

Next gather the following:
  • 1 can sweet and condensed milk
  • 1 cup of coconut flakes 
  • 1 package semi-sweet chocolate chips
When crust is done cooling pour sweet and condensed milk over crust and spread with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the sweet & condensed milk and then do the same with the coconut. 

*I have made it without the coconut for my husband and he loves them that way. I also hear people add chopped walnuts to them sometimes. Personally I think nuts unless ground finely into a crust or something ruin dessert lol 

This was a favourite of mine and my brothers as a kid. I remember the whole pan would disappear within hours of them being done. Also, when my family and I moved back "home" to where my hubby & I grew up (where our parents live) for a short time in 2008 my brother & his family came for that Christmas and I made those and they disappeared quickly! ;)

I may have to make some of those now! :P




4 comments:

  1. Sooo many people have said macaroni and cheese...myself included. I think I found what I'm having for supper tonight. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Mac & cheese does seem to be a favourite of many, many people!! I was actually fairly surprised. lol

      Delete
  2. I'm gonna have to try that recipe out. The kids (and boyfriend) will love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That recipe is delish! You may regret trying it because I know we can't restrain ourselves when I make it! LOL If you try it let me know how they liked it!

      Delete