Tuesday, June 11, 2013

All natural shoe cleaner

Happy Tuesday, Friends!

I hope your week is going well. Mine is so far. Ticking off the days until I don't have to wake up early anymore! ;)

Anyway, I'm bringing you a great tutorial on shining up white shoes that may have gotten a little too dirty. This came about as my Mr. was getting a bit self conscious about his white shoes after spending the winter walking through tons of water & mud (yes, he refused to find a good pair of rain boots, will be remedying that this winter) the shoes themselves were fine, just dirty. So, he asked if I had a "miracle" concoction to make his shoes clean and white again...Low and behold I did....

Here was my final product:

I do want to reiterate this is for white shoes...the products I used are natural bleaching agents. I haven't had to clean up colored shoes yet, so I don't know how they would hold up under this concoction. So, use it only on white shoes...otherwise it is done at your own risk :)

I unfortunately didn't take before pictures as I didn't really have the blog up & going yet and didn't think I'd have any reason to share it...well, live and learn I guess...Here is my process:

Items needed:
  • 1-2 bottles hydrogen peroxide
  • 1 box baking soda
  • 5-6 cloths
  • white shoes polish
Process
  1. Completely unlace the shoes and put the laces in a bowl. Pour straight hydrogen peroxide over them and kind of swish them around until they are completely covered in peroxide. Set aside for 30-45 minutes.
  2. With a cloth wipe off shoes to get off any excess dirt. Dip cloth in some peroxide and wipe the shoes down again.
  3. Make a paste of baking soda & peroxide. I didn't measure. I just poured a bunch of baking soda in a bowl and added bits of peroxide to it until a paste was formed. 
  4. With your fingers grab a bit of the baking soda and rub it generously all over each of the shoes. Let sit for about 30-45 minutes.
  5. Pour straight peroxide into a bowl and dip cloth into peroxide & rub all over shoes scrubbing well to get off the paste and remove all dirt and scuff marks. If you want wipe down with a plain cloth wet with water. Let dry. Some of the scuff marks may require some serious elbow grease, I know the ones on hubby's shoes did. At this time if they need some deodorizing sprinkle some baking soda in them & let sit for 30-45 min. Then clap out or vacuum out using your vacuum's attachment. 
  6. Take those shoe laces and rinse them out under warm water. Add some soap (I used Dr. Bronner's All Natural Soap) and scrub them really well. The stains should just go away. A few on hubby's didn't but they were pretty disgusting. After two treatments like that they are finally completely whitening up. Hang up to let dry.
  7. If you have some areas where some touch up is needed because some of the original colour has come off then take the white shoe polish & cover up those scuffs. Let dry. 
  8. Once laces are dry re-lace & send your loved one off to have a great day! 
Let me know if you try this tutorial & how you like it! I know I was glad to be able to salvage hundreds of dollars worth of shoes for the Mr. for just a few dollars!

1 comment:

  1. sick be inquiring soon to discover what extra posts you incorporate.
    Shoe Sprays

    ReplyDelete